[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-11-21 12:57:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: My first map « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My first map  (Read 6073 times)
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
Re: My first map
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-14 18:07:45 »

Hate to be a wet blanket but that process creates a map that is probably 3x larger in terms of polygon use.    That may or may not be an issue.   Looking at the screenshot below it just looks grossly inefficient.    The screenshot is at the top of the stairs looking down.   Notice all the triangles that make up the floor (remember in the original map this would be one solid surface).  All the objects in the game get subdivided many times.

I assume that this would translate after the Woldcraft build into many more polygons.   Total guess though.
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-14 18:21:46 »

There are some settings to the exporter, something I don't know anything about. I currently have these settings when I exported those files.

Code:
// Scale = 1;
//Use the following for Swat3
   Scale = .02;
FlipPolygonStrips = True;
CaptureNormals = False;
        CaptureTextureCoords = True;
LogFunctions = False;
ObjFileName = "missiona";
FilePerFrame = False;
FileInFrameDir = False;

TRIANGLES = True;
TRIANGLE_STRIP = False;
TRIANGLE_FAN = False;
QUADS = True;
QUAD_STRIP = False;
POLYGON = False;
    }

CC

[Tried a new setting and here is what I noticed. Now instead of 6 brushes to make a box , I have 6 planes. A single square brush in WC is actually made up of 6 planes each plane containing 2 triangles. I have tried several other settings and the results aren't pleasing. It is possible to export back out and play the map with all of the triangles since the tris are intacked, on the other hand at least with being able to import the maps back into WC we are now able to replicate the majority of  the geometry to the T. I have tested this. I created a map containing a small room, exported to SCN, export the SCN to map and opened the map file WC file and copied and PASTED the exported to the RFM and it was aligned perfectly.]
« Last Edit: 2010-05-14 18:54:22 by [CopyCat] » Logged
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: 2010-05-14 20:09:40 »

I just caught something on the screen shot you have there. Do you see the extruded edges on the banister, I tweeked up the exporter and now there is no extra geometry like that anymore. It is a lot better looking.

CC
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-05-15 22:46:10 »

In that screenshot each shade of colour is a triangle.    Now when we view an original map that was made in Worldcraft a primitive such as a cube looks like a solid object.   The question is once the map gets compiled using Worldcraft perhaps all the geometry gets broken down just like the screenshot shows.   Perhaps there isn't an increase in polygons?

Have you done yet a comparison between the number of polygons in the original Mission A and the "captured" version of Mission A after it has been recompiled and run in Swat 3?

PS:   When you say the game ran in Open GL you sure you weren't thinking of AA's SCN editor?

Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: 2010-05-16 04:45:47 »

Correct to think that, I just openend a custom map and the brushes contain triangles. Meaning a Square box contained trianglular planes. Try creating a map with just a floor and nothing else, and when you build it says 6 polygons, 12 triangles.

On the exporter, There is a setting that says something about verts being shared. Here it is

//      ExtensionOverride = ("GLExtOverride/GLExtOverride.dll")
//      {
//   RemoveExtensions = (GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program);
//      }

With the new settings described above the traingles are combined into quad planes.

By the comparison do you mean, running the command mapinfo or something like that? Sorry I am not looking at my list of console commands.

"When you say the game ran in Open GL you sure you weren't thinking of AA's SCN editor?"

Well I tried several different programs, a few requiring the EXE to be a Direct X 8.0 or 9.0 program, all the programs errored saying this program(Swat3) is not a directx program.

I then tried a program requiring the EXE to be a Open GL, well the swat.exe didn't work but the scneditor did. I guess it is still too early to speculate if swat3 is Open GL or Direct X, that is why I was asking.

ALL IN ALL using imported maps can be done or as I stated in another thread DOABLE, I could sit here for 2 hours and fix missiona's textures  for you to run, add stuff, and mess around with it, but would love to teach someone how to do it and guide them thru the process.

Anyone interested?

CC
« Last Edit: 2010-05-16 05:04:12 by [CopyCat] » Logged
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-05-16 12:55:47 »

Anyone interested?

CC

Negative.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: 2010-05-16 12:57:25 »

Thanks for the quick Reply.

Anyone else?

CC
[Longbow]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: 2010-05-17 13:34:24 »

negative
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: My first map « previous next »
Jump to: