[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-06-26 09:18:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43346 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  [furryclan] forums  |  [furryclan] general forum  |  Topic: LANParty « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LANParty  (Read 30468 times)
Squeeky
[furry student]

123515505 SqueekyD@Msn.com PSU Squeeky
View Profile Email
LANParty
« on: 2002-11-19 22:13:29 »

Im planning on going to a 56 hour, 300 Person LANParty hosted by "Ownij Digital Entertainment". Its $35 bucks, And is in the Irvine, CA area. This would be a 45 minute drive, I honestly cant wait. My questions for you are as follows

1.Have you ever been to a LANParty

2.Whats it like?

3.Did you run into any problems?

4.Was it far too much a hassle, But when looked upon worth it?

I honesty can say after talking to the event organizer personally, This is going to be one hell of a fun event. Tournament, Raven shield demo on a LAN, Bf1942 every darn game you can think of. I just hope i dont sleep through half the darn thing!?!? The guy says for the most part, The people are nice, And friendly, And will help you with your hardware. Im kind of skeptical, But this guy has been planning the event for over 5 months, And has been doing LANParty's since '96.

Feedback is welcome!
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 2002-11-20 11:04:45 »

The few Ive done have been setup by my buddies, and in the range of 4-8 people.  Generally the issue is nobody had all the same games installed, patched, or ready at teh same time.  We ended up playintg 1942 for 5 hours, and I got sick of it and packed up and went home.  

I like online far better.  No moving equipment.
Squeeky
[furry student]

View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 2002-11-20 11:10:46 »

The guy has T3 connections available, and 40 fileplanet accounts posted!!! (The billing info and passwords will be auctioned off for fileplanet subscriptions at the end of the weekend) So we can download patches mega fast on high speed servers! The guy also is being sponsored by ATI, Frito lay, ATI, Nvidia, Bungeemouse, Bawls(Its a drink) so he has more than enough raffle prizes and food!!
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 2002-11-20 11:14:50 »

beeer.

It sounds too.....

....well.....

"kiddie" to me.

Will Crusty teh Clown be there too?
Squeeky
[furry student]

View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 2002-11-20 11:17:24 »

Kiddie, Theres a 16 person age limit (He made an exception with me, As im going and will be accompanied by someone 18 or older), go to lanparty.com and look at some pics, looks like a bunch of guys drinking and gaming!
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 2002-11-20 11:22:04 »

LAN gaming is much more fun than over the internet.  No lag issues and you can shout across the room at each other.

Having said that, Dick is right about the "having the games installed" thing.  You need to decide what games are going to be played and if you can't get them installed then at least have someone with a web server or CIFS server with the installs available.

I would also agree that the snacks and raffles thing is uncalled for.  I've always played at work or at school.  None of this "all crash round the town hall and get it sponsored" gubbins.  I'm not sure how much fun that would be.  Four or five mates round someone's house (the one with the biggest one) and away you go.
Squeeky
[furry student]

View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 2002-11-20 11:22:09 »

Not to mention busty adult filmstars like Asia Carrera play at LANPartys alot!

http://www.lanparty.com/articles/asiacarrera/asiac.shtml
Squeeky
[furry student]

View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 2002-11-20 11:26:04 »

LAN gaming is a party, theres much more then PC gaming. Theres console gaming, Drinking (for adults of course ) and plenty of crap talking. The fact is, The guy has retail copies of certain games that are gonna be played! Im sure there will be a problem with a huge LAN like this. Either a networking problem, or a power issue. But who knows, I've talked to personal friends who say if the LAN is planned extensively its MUCH better. Not to mention the people who play at the event can make or break the party.

I for one am skeptical, but im going with my friend and his cousin. They play R6 series, BF1942, And are really into RPG's. Ill be sure to take some pictures!
[Nataliia]
[furry acolyte]

View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 2002-11-20 12:12:31 »

Most of the larger sponsored LAN parties I've seen at gaming conventions, etc, actually provide the computers with pre-loaded software on them. This way, you pay to either get into that area of the con or you pay on a per hour basis, and you don't have to move any of your personal equipment. This ensures:

A. everyone has not only the game, but the same version of the game

B. there are no hardware conflicts between games and computer setup

C. the LAN configuration can be tested for lag (to place a max player cap), connectivity, etc.

D. no one brings a virus, intentionally or accidentally, and gifts everyone with it

I've seen the larger gaming conventions, (ORIGINS, GenCon, Winter Fantasy), charge from $5 per hour and up for use of the computers at a large LAN party (in addition to the convention charge, which is usually around $25-$40 per day per person).

I'd prefer a smaller LANparty, personally, and have hosted many while living in Germany with a real crap connection. We had lines run to the neighbor's computer so could LAN at any and all times of the day...plus that gave us more ports from his hub  However, you do spend as much time, if not more, installing, patching, tweaking, etc games than you do playing.

The Bible teaches \"love thy neighbor\"; the Kama-Sutra explains how.
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 2002-11-20 22:32:47 »

Ok....good point.  If there are dirty little Asia Carrera whores all about the party, then yeah sign me up.

Lag issues?   They seemed to go out the door with us veering away from SWAT.

How odd..
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

120393882 ghostriderusa@msn.com RoddenCJ ghostrider_fc
View Profile Email
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 2002-11-21 22:55:10 »

Well, the thought had crossed my mind that we have some sort of LAN party/get together for the second anniversary of [furryclan].  Now that furrycat is in England and Gerwalder is in Canada, that puts the majority of the clan in a position to fly into a central location, like New York.  

We could all bring our own box and set it up in Tauseef's basement!  I'm sure he's got some sort of pullout or futon that can sleep 26, right?

See my Battlefield 2 stats here.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 2002-11-21 23:15:45 »

Start spreadin' the news!
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 2002-11-22 11:02:51 »

Hmm let me ruin the fun with a bit o' maths...

Cost of moving Icky from home to "new york" and back - £196

Cost of moving Ickys rig from home to "new york" and back - £300 (give or take)

Amount of cash Icky gets £1000.  Cash left over after buying essentials: food, travel, books, more food, toilet roll,  throughout the year...... aww heck I cant be arsed to work it out.  Even if I have to go hungry and have a soiled bum, Im finding a way

Watch out yanks, Icky is coming!
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 2002-11-22 11:07:35 »

Iccky and dirty bum.

ew.
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 2002-11-22 12:28:47 »

Hence "sticky icky"  duh!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  [furryclan] forums  |  [furryclan] general forum  |  Topic: LANParty « previous next »
Jump to: