[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-11-21 12:58:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Sci-Fi  |  Topic: The Matrix Online « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Matrix Online  (Read 5016 times)
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
The Matrix Online
« on: 2005-04-30 13:26:57 »

Well since Galaxies is nicely borked I took the liberty of roaming the possible MMO alternatives.  The Matrix Online pooped up, I read the nice website, the forum, and went out and bought it this morning.

All I know right now is there is just so much game that for the most part I'm lost.  Very lost.  Skills, Abilities, Levels, Experiance, shoes that give me +10% Running speed.  Its all too much.  But I persist.

It has the makings of a really really good game.  You can shoot people, (currently Im using a gun called the "Red Pill Special") and I punch people (having just woken up all I know is basic self defence), and I do tend to get my arse handed to me on a plate if I try and attack random gang members.  The cinematics are nice, the mission structure is nice, the way skills and abilites work is nice (swap them out like in the film when you want to learn something you new or relearn something old).

Combat is... really nice looking smile  Even your basic punch has multiple animations, you can headbutt people or kick em in the nuts and you can do it all while wearing cliched sunglasses and long black coat.

Grouping and faction works well.  A single person can join a crew (group), which is persistant.  The captain of the group commands our very own hovercraft which you can name whatever you like.  That crew (or lone player) can join a faction (guild) which is aligned with Zion, the Machines or Zion Exiles.  Its got a nice developing story, which Ive only begin to scratch the surface of.

For those lost in the limbo of Galaxies, I say look.  Read.  And then buy it from a shop with a good returns policy just in case razz

http://thematrixonline.com
[Longbow]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile WWW Email
Re: The Matrix Online
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-02 13:32:59 »

lets see some of your screen shots
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-02 22:17:23 »

Think what you saw in the movies, but with a health meter+chat box.

Pure doodie-fest.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-03 05:59:45 »

Trinity + chat box = cyb0r!!!111one
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-03 08:32:33 »

My experience with Matrix Online:

Bought game on Saturday afternoon.  Installed, made character, did tutorial.  Game crashed doing combat training.

Restarted game.  Crashed during combat training.

Sent mail to support asking if I could skip the tutorial.

A few hours later I got a response telling me how to do it.

Restarted game and skipped tutorial.  Met up with Don and icky.  Went to find an enemy in case it was the combat rather than the training that was causing the crash.  Fought without any trouble.

Crashed fighting next enemy.

Restarted the game.  Crashed fighting enemy.

Restarted the game and set lower quality video settings.  Crashed fighting enemy.

Replied to support saying I had successfully skipped the tutorial but that the game still crashed.  Went to account page to cancel account and found you had to phone them up during office hours to cancel.

Uninstalled and took game back to store on Sunday morning.

Called support on Monday.  No answer as it was a public holiday in the UK.

Got an email this morning (Tuesday) from support saying they had closed my ticket as I hadn't replied to them.

Tried several times over the morning to get through on the billing number.  Finally got through and was able to get the cancellation through.
[Longbow]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-03 14:32:08 »

good find icky!!!
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-04 14:39:30 »

I haven't spent a lot of time in the game yet, but my intial impressions are good, but with some slight concerns.  

The crafting is some what basic, resource gathering appears to be only done by looting. So no excitement there for those into that sort of thing (like me).

No player placeable structures and no feeling of a society, just people "jacking in" to various locations with little reason to talk to anyone outside your crew.  SWG, even in it's current gimped form excels at that.

The world that I've seen so far is necessarily a drab urban landscape, but I'm hoping for more interesting environments when I get out of the noob-ghetto. On the plus-side, you can go into every building and every room, climb pipes, fire escapes, jump from one building to another, a lot of freedom.  

Vehicles would have been a plus,cars would have helped with the immersion but none to be found.  Then again SWG had no vehicles when it started, but I see little actual need for cars other than the "it would be cool if" factor.

The two good aspects of MxO that I like are the combat and the skill system.

The combat isn't much different than other MMO's I've tried but it feels much more 'interactive and fast paced'.  There are two basic types of combat, free fire and a locked in close quarters combat where you can switch to martial arts or close up gun fighting.

One odd aspect is that when you get locked into close quarters combat the animations take over.  A little weird at first because you lose some of the control of your character.  But in those situations, you end up needing to pay more attention to your next combat move or figuring out how to break out of close quarters if you are getting the beat down and it gives a second or two to enjoy the the cool Matrixy animations.  Bullet time finishing moves an additional bonus.

The skill system really appeals to me as your aren't forever tied to a class like everquest type games.  And you don't have to regrind a profession each time if you decide to change skills.  You have to buy/make/earn skills as you go and load them into your "memory".  As you level up, you get more memory to work with and your existing skills become more effective.  If you want to try handguns for a while, load all the handgun skills and shoot 'em up.  If you decide for the next mission you want to use Aikido or Kung Fu, unload the gun skills and plug in the new ones.

I'm still messing around with jedi padawan in SWG while my subscription runs out, but I plan to do plenty more MxO in the coming weeks.
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-04 19:41:22 »

I plan on doing a lot of "jacking-in" as well, and falling back to doing more constructive things such as web design and maybe a little computer /education/repair/etc business on the side.  

I go in 6 month spurts.  6 months of games, 6 months of other non-game stuff.

There isnt anything that is fun for me right now.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-05 13:18:44 »

I'm sure a lot of you might not dig this game, and I won't try to convince you otherwise.  However, I'm going to babble on for a bit about the joys of Hyper-Jump.  

Upon reaching level 10, you can start using Hyper-Jump.  Which is what you need to get out of the noob-ghetto for one thing, but beyond that it's frucking amazingly fun to use.  You can tap a dedicated key and leap nearly straight up to insane heights, above most any skyscraper.  Or more usefully, put it on your toolbar to use it in aimed mode.  Click that and the camera zooms out, you get crosshairs to choose your destination and go.  Giant, totally ridiculous and very dramatic leaps over buildings or from rooftop to rooftop.  

In the tougher parts of town, it's possibly your only means of survival as a noob. I was leaping like a madman at one point, frantically trying to keep my health above 20% due to the gangs of badasses everywhere in one section. But it's also an entertaining mode of travel and can give a strategic advantage by entering a building from the roof instead of ground floor.

In summation, \/\/00t
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-05 17:22:13 »

So you guys are already paying to play something?

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-05 17:39:43 »

First month free, but yes.  I really like it, the combat isnew and extremely cool looking, though some might not like the lack of "hands on" killing.  But it does make for some stunning special moves (the running kick to the face / shotgun to the chest combo is thus far my favorite).
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-06 15:27:19 »

Yes... because lord knows a shotgun blast wouldn't be sufficient enough to kill someone WITHOUT a kick to the face.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-06 17:53:17 »

You think that's air you're breathing?   You think that's a chest you're shooting?

Stop trying to troll him and troll him!
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-12 18:58:22 »

Well I ordered the game; should be arriving Monday. I did my own research before I read any of this nonsense. I was very intrigued by the combat system, as I'm sick of the way it works in every other MMORPG ever released. In WoW especially, you often have an enemy run at you, then run a little too far and run THROUGH your character. You then proceed to play out the rest of the battle as a clip-fest.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about the crashing issue, and every review I read said that the missions get repetitive. Hopefully the game will stay alive long enough for them to add new content.  cool

BTW -Dick nice avatar; I always suspected you liked them bald and plastic.

- NS
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-13 13:29:48 »

Good stuff:

Good combat system.  Very good skill system (allowing you to swap out your skills at any time at a phonebooth).  Has Player vs Player, seemed to be implemented well enough.  Hyperjumping is very addictive as you increase your skill level.  Can enter just about every building.

Bad Stuff:

I only ever saw urban environments, got a bit claustrophobic/samey.  Lacking any sense of a MMO working society or community. Player econmoy barely present.  No reason to interact with anyone outside your crew.  

The game seems to be a bit more friendly to the less frequent player, allowing you to jump in, mess around, level up without having to invest as much time as  say SWG.  I suppose that's a good point, but I wasn't drawn-in enough to keep playing over the more varied universe of SWG (now that I came to terms with most of the Combat Upgrade).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Sci-Fi  |  Topic: The Matrix Online « previous next »
Jump to: