[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-22 23:53:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  SWAT4  |  Topic: Patch and Thread Today? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch and Thread Today?  (Read 7539 times)
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Patch and Thread Today?
« on: 2005-06-21 16:28:21 »

I heard a rumor.

What's the skinny?
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
Re: Patch and Thread Today?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-21 17:06:23 »

Was released on Monday.  Fixes a number of issues.
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-21 17:09:56 »

Quote:

Fixes a number of issues.

Let me finish your sentence:   Fixes a number of issues for TDM players and even includes more maps for TDM players.
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-21 18:00:12 »

*Added custom chat for taunting of others in TDM. Co-op chat menu was deemed sufficient.

*Added maps fully supporting TDM. Co-op maps were deemed sufficient.

*Fixed lag experienced when others are about to shoot you in TDM. Co-op lag was deemd "realistic."

*Due to popular demand, TRAILERS have been added!... to TDM. Co-op play does not require trailers.

*Effectiveness of FMJ has been changed to be more realistic in TDM. 7 direct hits to the skull with FMJ will still be required to incapacitate suspects wearing chest protection in Co-op. We feel it adds to the "immersion factor."

*Support for SSF has been removed, due to its ridiculously uncanny ability to improve the game.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-21 18:31:12 »

Reading through the extensive changes... I have figured out why they released the patch...

1. Increase revenue via sending ads into the game when you're playing.

2. To annoy the hell out of me.

3. To release the SDK so they didn't have to do any work. They'd rely on the community to fix the freakin' game.

I read through all the "changes" they made. Basically, they fixed TDM exploits. My personal favorite is:

"Removed unused network uplink code that was not necessary but would cause problems when enabled in INI files." It's not used. It's not necessary. But it would cause problems if someone hacked their .ini and enabled it.

WTF?

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
Pointman
[noob]

isc_pointman
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-21 19:51:38 »

Has anyone gotten some good Co-Op time in to see if the patch really made much of a difference to Co-Op?  It doesn't sound like it did a whole lot.

All I was hoping for was for the mirroring issue and memory leak issue to be fixed.  Those 2 fixes alone would make me happy, but I don't think they added them.  

GO BUCKS!!!
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-21 19:54:58 »

I did see something about mirror... whether it was mirror reflectivity or mirroring, I don't know.

Didn't notice anything about memory leak.

[Witchkeeper]
[furry adept]

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-21 22:49:49 »

The majority of 'bugs' were TDM related because they were bugs that people playing that sort of game exploit(and TDM people shouted a lot, naturally).

Ads are stupid imho, however is anyone actually influenced by ads in games? I can't say I even know where they are or noticed them, so perhaps I am missing the point on it being a big deal. There are ads in most mediums (film for example) most people can resist product placement I'd imagine.

The mirrors fix is reflectivity not mirroring.

The SDK at least allows people to fix or add things to coop to be the way it needs to be.

I think an SDK was more important than the rest of the patch myself. S3's numerous problems were fixed and or abetted by modders and coders..the game we all ended up playing did not look or feel a hell of a lot like the game that had been released. Whether people will bother to do all that is another matter.

The wise man does at once what the fool does finally
Pointman
[noob]

isc_pointman
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-22 01:03:42 »

LA*Witchkeeper*PD wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 19:49

I think an SDK was more important than the rest of the patch myself. S3's numerous problems were fixed and or abetted by modders and coders..the game we all ended up playing did not look or feel a hell of a lot like the game that had been released. Whether people will bother to do all that is another matter.

I couldn't agree more Witchy.  The fact that an SDK was released more than made me happy.  All the other things were just gravy.  Now we (we being the non-modder types such as myself) just need to sit back and wait for all the great new mods and maps to be made.

GO BUCKS!!!
[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-22 05:46:24 »

Changes to Co-op: The game loads up faster.

"Modders lead the way!"
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-22 07:12:40 »

I downloaded the patch at work, burnt it to a CD and took it home (new house net gets a phoneline on Friday and DSL on July 4th).

First the patch refused to run because it didn't recognise the old version of Packages.md5, which I had rebuilt using UCC.  Deleting the file didn't help; the patch wanted to UPGRADE not REPLACE it.

I inserted the game CD tried to run the installer.  It bombed with error 1628.  I tried to uninstall the game from Add/Remove Programs.  Clicking the Change/Remove button for SWAT4 had no effect.

Next I opened the MSI file on the CD with Orca and determined the correct entry in the CAB for Packages.md5.  I was able to extract it using WinRAR and set the correct name.  Patching continued.

Had to repeat the process for SwatGui.ini.

Eventually the game patched and there was a nice shiny SDK.  I browsed some of the source code for a bit then switched off the PC and went to see what my housemates were up to.
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-22 07:18:38 »

Which explains why there's been no progress relating to the UPS's =P. Thanks for letting us know you were doing something as insignificant as MOVING!!

Annnnnnnd....... what's lame about HAVING to release the SDK is that, instead of releasing a rock solid game, or patching it to BE a rock solid game, they're relying on the community to fix everything for them. You guys complain about the mods for OpFlash. Remember SWAT 3? There were only about 70,623 mods for that damned game. I just hope the same crap doesn't happen here, especially since mods aren't supported like they were in S3.

[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-06-22 12:25:18 »

Hopefully there will be an agreed upon mod (in the Unreal Engine sense of mod) to work on, instead of 8,000 mutators everyone is working on.  Assuming mutators even work.  Or possibly, some good mutators could be made to get the modders feet wet then some substantial mod made.

Pointman
[noob]

isc_pointman
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-22 17:39:49 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in SWAT3 we were able to have multiple mods running at the same time, provided they were all compatible and all that.  With SWAT4, I think we can only have one mod running at a time.  Is this correct?  If it is, then we should see a lot less of those "all I did was change 3 weapon models to make them loome t"he t;total package" mods, don't yoll t

GO BUCKS!!!
[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-22 19:38:11 »

AT4 forums. Might really be that we need a modding center like OFP had. The SWAT4 forums do not seem to be too practical to me.

btw: made all doors open to the left only. If just everything would be that easy to change (although I dont know if it works in multiplayer)  confused How did you get HITMAN status on all your weapons and 10
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  SWAT4  |  Topic: Patch and Thread Today? « previous next »
Jump to: