[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-11-20 19:57:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  SWAT4  |  Topic: Stetchkov Syndicate is out « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stetchkov Syndicate is out  (Read 28350 times)
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Re: Stetchkov Syndicate is out
« Reply #15 on: 2006-03-07 19:44:03 »

If SWAT4 had been named something else and not published by VUG, it probably would have been better off.

At least then it would have been seen as this new COOP Police game that is a lot like SWAT3 but judged on its own merits.  Instead, it was forced to live up to everything that SWAT3 was and more.  Which can easily lead to a let down with a group of people who held SWAT3 in such high regard.

Not only was it easy to have such expectations the very name of the game invited them.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: 2006-03-08 03:38:14 »

Fine, I'll redo the title screen to say "Bukkake Police Force X" instead of SWAT 4... then you can all be thrilled to play.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

120393882 ghostriderusa@msn.com RoddenCJ ghostrider_fc
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: 2006-03-08 05:33:02 »

Quote:

being to much of a snob to settle for anything less than what they percieve to be the perfect game.

I don't think that's being a snob.  I think the others said it well enough that we buy what we like, or can afford, or are able to run.  We're not waiting for the perfect game to come to us.  We're waiting for the next game that approaches the height of fun we experienced with Swat 3.  It was special to many of us because that's what pulled us together and drove us to form this clan.  I'm sure it'll happen again.  Perhaps not with the same level of intensity, but it will be there.  It was for a while with so many guys playing SWG and other games.  

Just so happens that I'm playing games that I enjoy right now.  KOTOR and KOTOR II.  Unfortunately, both single player.  Did a little Jedi Academy online, but wasn't as fun due to the overwhelming number of tweens.  Oh, well.  I'm going to go get the new SW game soon.  We'll see how that goes.

See my Battlefield 2 stats here.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-03-08 18:01:32 »

[NorthStar

wrote on Tue, 07 March 2006 23:38]Fine, I'll redo the title screen to say "Bukkake Police Force X" instead of SWAT 4... then you can all be thrilled to play.

-Dick would have the technical advantage in that case.  He'd have to be the one to write all the tutorials and make the utilities.

[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006-03-08 19:27:52 »

what? Bukkake Police Force X is out already? I totally missed part 8 and 9.

nah seriously. SWAT4 was badly designed from the get go. No idea why I bought it, maybe because the MP demo was fun and I believed the beta feedback might have changed alot. Still it was designed and released with equal (more likely less) functionality than SWAT3 had. And because of the community (including me) not being able to mod important aspects of the game (dunno if that changed with the addon) made it dead meat.

Maybe things were different if I bought the "SWAT4 elite edition" or what they call it now, as I did with SWAT3, but I won't now!

Doors opening like that in a CQB game (and they still do, as mentioned in a review of the addon), it's ridiculous. And to spend money on a patch that doesn't fix any problems, but adds guns and maps instead (which should be added by the community in my opinion) is even worse. Even worse if I consider the situation of american customers who are confronted with ingame advertisments in this pile of crap.

And the reason why I hate this game so much, is that I hate myself for being so stupid to buy it ...and that the PR guys ripped us off. But they also have to feed their kids of course, so what...

A 10 player patch says everything to somebody who knows history.

It's kinda like some pop ass doing a shitty cover version of a 20 year old song and the people go "Whew, what an awesome song writer!"

And the same reason why bullshit politicians get elected again and again.

It's just sad, and worse is that I DON'T don't give a fuck about all this crap. Bummer!

[Witchkeeper]
[furry adept]

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: 2006-03-08 23:28:15 »

[Don_T_Shoot

wrote on Tue, 07 March 2006 15:44]If SWAT4 had been named something else and not published by VUG, it probably would have been better off.

At least then it would have been seen as this new COOP Police game that is a lot like SWAT3 but judged on its own merits.  Instead, it was forced to live up to everything that SWAT3 was and more.  Which can easily lead to a let down with a group of people who held SWAT3 in such high regard.

Not only was it easy to have such expectations the very name of the game invited them.

And would it have been oh so hard to deliver them? No. But the audience that enjoyed S3 for the coop etc was not the one they wanted for S4. They want people playing TDM on ladders and not caring a damn for any tactics apart from 'what works to get m0r3 killz'.

I rather enjoyed S4 as a SP game, it was pretty entertaining and apart from the numerous flaws that made it a bit of a pain it was playable enough. But that's not what I cared about and not why I would continue to play it. I would have been perfectly happy with an improved S3. That's not what they delivered. In fact they delivered a TDM game with some coop elements in it to keep people quiet. Not worth my cash or my continuing time. I even preferred RvS online. Blimey.

When another good game comes out and I have my new shiny I shall play it and much enjoy the [friendliness], but I am just not going to play an ok game for the sake of remembering a good series..I prefer to remember how it was before the marketing people got hold of it.

The wise man does at once what the fool does finally
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: 2006-03-10 21:08:35 »

I just remember the devs from S3 all taking off or being fired and knew that it was going to suck.  Wouldn't it be cool if the devs from S3 got together to make a new game with realistic tactics and movements and everything we want?  That would be a blockbuster game.  I think there is a silent majority in the gaming world that digs that stuff.  

[Witchkeeper]
[furry adept]

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: 2006-03-10 22:48:00 »

[GhostRider

wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 17:08]I just remember the devs from S3 all taking off or being fired and knew that it was going to suck.  Wouldn't it be cool if the devs from S3 got together to make a new game with realistic tactics and movements and everything we want?  That would be a blockbuster game.  I think there is a silent majority in the gaming world that digs that stuff.

Would be but they are all over everywhere now, Rod works for MS on the Xbox, Charles works for them as some sort of writer of game synopses and the others all seem to be in other companies. As far as I know they all got busted when UJ died, way before S4 was commissioned.

Amount of money it takes to make a game these days it'd take a publisher with guts to make a real sequel. Be nice if someone would.

[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006-03-11 07:48:18 »

It would need an engine that is able to show bullet holes on people, which SWAT4's Unreal engine isn't. And then a whole bunch of dedicated hackers and even more artists to build the whole thing. Think of a Half-Life2 mod, that engine is awesome with the nice Havok implementation it would be a l33t CQB mod.

Dunno if AI can be altered enough and what is possible in modding there.

Imagine driving the SWAT truck. Or abseiling of roofs.

Bulletholes and glass breaking animations in Half-life2 are very nice. And the sound engine is awesome.

I don't know but I believe it is possible to do, but one would need a few coder plus lots of 3d modellers and animators and texture, aswell as sound artists, etc. etc....
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006-03-11 16:00:45 »

...as well as financial backing.   That kinda backing couldnt be justified to make such a game with such a small niche group of people who like that type of game play--relative to shootem ups that is.
[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 2006-03-11 17:43:42 »

I could imagine there is enough weapon models, and sounds for those, in the CS part of HL2. So that could be reused. Alot of other existing HL2 stuff could also be reused, like textures and maybe counterstrike models, dunno them.

I think it wouldn't be too huge a project. But considering that the dedicated SWAT community is quite small and many modders have vanished, it might still be too big to undertake.

For that a total convertion mod is all that seems possible to me. Hacking out a new engine is a nono that takes years, of course.

Still, I don't have the required experiences to see if this is feasible.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: 2006-03-11 18:54:48 »

Wow...  You guys really know how to take a ball and run with it.  I was a little "wouldn't it be cool if..." and you guys are doing a "how much will it take to hire Rod Fung?"  Don't go off the deep end.  You'll ruin the day-dream!

[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-03-11 19:27:31 »

Their mistake in the first place was NOT using the HL2 engine. It runs incredibly smooth, even at extremely high graphics settings, and the physics are amazing.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[Witchkeeper]
[furry adept]

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: 2006-03-12 11:13:34 »

Is a TC possible in HL2?

I played it and its an ok game (I found it too linear myself but nice in parts) but the engine is great.

[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006-03-12 18:05:11 »

Well I play CS:S. Couldn't be arsed to kill aliens.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  SWAT4  |  Topic: Stetchkov Syndicate is out « previous next »
Jump to: