[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-19 10:05:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Red Storm rising  |  Topic: Rainbow Six: Vegas « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rainbow Six: Vegas  (Read 11458 times)
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
Rainbow Six: Vegas
« on: 2006-12-18 19:13:53 »

Wondering why no one has brought this up at all thus far... anyway, I have acquired the game and played it for a couple hours. So far my faith in the R6 franchise is slowly being restored. It plays less like an R6 game and more like a mix of SWAT, Splinter Cell, and FSW. That's a good thing. Game engine feels solid, controls are very intuitive and not too numerous, weapon accuracy and reticle bloom are nicely done, ability to pick up enemy weapons and re-equip mid-mission at equipment crates... other nice touches like rappelling and ability to "blind fire" from behind cover (with horrible accuracy, of course). They also score extra points in my book because the main character shares my first name... at first I was very confused when the mission lady was referring to me by name. I just wish I didn't sound like a Texan.

In the very first mission you get to gun down some Mexican coyotes. Not sure yet on whether enemy placement is randomized - it doesn't appear to be so, but the AI has kept me guessing. Squad AI is much better than in previous games. Smoke, flashbangs, and silencers actually work for a change, and the addition of SC gadgets like the snake cam and thermal goggles make them all the more useful. Even shotguns are viable weapon options. The part of the mission I'm on is clearly designed for single player - very linear, and I'm currently being forced to go solo. So, I'm not sure yet how the coop maps are set up, but it seems like it would be a blast.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Rainbow Six: Vegas
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-18 19:33:34 »

Have it for 360 been playing it since its launch.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-12-18 19:50:41 »

[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-18 20:10:05 »

Have it for 360 been playing it since its launch.
A lot of fucking good that is for coop.

EDIT: And furry, it's not "humping," it's "teabagging." HUGE difference.
« Last Edit: 2006-12-18 20:11:42 by [NorthStar] » Logged
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-18 20:33:15 »

/e teabag

[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-19 04:29:10 »

A little DT/PhoeniX/Flea humour... "Rainbow Six: Vergas"

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

120393882 ghostriderusa@msn.com RoddenCJ ghostrider_fc
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-19 04:48:41 »

Yeah but the way DT says it, it sounds like "Burkas!"

See my Battlefield 2 stats here.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-19 22:03:46 »

You know what.....nvm, that was funny.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-20 03:46:18 »

"Hay, G.I!  Jew wanna fook my seester?"

[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-21 12:33:01 »

"Hey, you got girlfriend Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time."
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-12-23 00:56:06 »

Phoenix's review: The game is kinda entertaining, and has a lot of promise. Much better in its execution now that Red Storm didn't do the programming on it.

The details: In Mexico, everything is fucking orange.

In Vegas, everything is fucking overly bright.

Performance: The game performs like shit. The MINIMUM requirement is 3.0 GHz. The recommended is 3.5 GHz. As you guys know, they make single core chips basically up to 3.6 GHz... so you're going to want a dual core. The graphics aren't scalable. They're basically either on, or they're off. The resolution settings would be nice... if it in fact increased/decreased performance measurably. In my experience, 1024x768 was playable, just. 800x600 and 640x480 had no noticeable impact on performance. You are unable to turn off any graphics that could conceivably increase peformance (ie. shadows) but you can turn them to "very low" which helps.

One of the most annoying aspects of the game is the damage system. You have no way of knowing how injured you are. If you get hit, your screen immediately goes blurry as though you've been knocked cross eyed by the impact of the bullet. I think this even happens if a bullet zings by you, but to a lesser extent. The blur is HIGHLY exaggerated, which is annoying as FUCK. The good thing about the weapon system is that although the weapons are grossly inaccurate, the damage dealt (ie. headshot with a burst from a Famas only injures) is fucking stupid, the fact that you can take 72,340,245 rounds before dying (or 1 partial shotgun blast) helps with the whole annoyance that you can't seem to kill anyone. I don't like the way you bring your sights up... something about it feels unnatural, but I think that can be attributed to the fact that when you bring the sights up, they aren't exactly on line with where the gun was aiming, which is realistic. IRL, you're obviously going to fuck up your aim a bit by having to shift the gun up to your eye.

The good parts.... I love the seeking cover bits. You can stack up next to a door with your back against the wall, open the door, throw a flashbang/incendiary grenade/frag around the corner with minimal exposure... you can blind fire around/over whatever you're using for cover, or you can decide to do it the old fashioned way, and then drop immediately behind cover again. In addition, the thermal vision is ace. Things that are far away don't show up through thermal vision, unlike other games where people show up to infinity... and it cuts through the smoke quite nicely. The AI is pretty good too. Not superhuman, but they will approach and attempt to flank you. They also throw flashbangs and smoke, and presumably more deadly devices as well, though I haven't experienced those quite yet (and won't, because the SHITTY performance I was getting destroyed the fun).

I uninstalled it immediately after playing it, but it's worth a shot for those of you w/ dual SLI cards and all that jazz.

Keep in mind I was trying to play it on:

2.8 GHz
1.5 Gigs RAM
GeForce 6800XT (overclocked 33%)

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[Luedog]
[furry veteran]

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 2007-01-18 00:15:20 »

does anyone plan on getting this? i know northstar has it.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 2007-01-18 23:50:50 »

I have not yet progressed beyond the "thinking about it" stage.  Northstar was really pushing it, but I still haven't made up my mind.

[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-01-19 01:29:23 »

Might be worth it as a modern tactical(ish?) shooter until ArmA exists in an English and remotely stable form.   
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007-01-19 01:30:31 »

...they make single core chips basically up to 3.6 GHz... so you're going to want a dual core." 

Isn't a dual core worthless on a game that doesn't support a dual core processor?  Or does it?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Red Storm rising  |  Topic: Rainbow Six: Vegas « previous next »
Jump to: