[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-22 23:54:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Sci-Fi  |  Topic: Anarchy Online « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anarchy Online  (Read 4077 times)
[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
Anarchy Online
« on: 2008-01-10 12:59:47 »

I don't know if you discussed/played this one before.
It's totally free and looks a bit like the Star Wars game you played.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&table=PUBLISH&template=gallery&func_id=1036&navID=1003,1008,1036
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Anarchy Online
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-10 13:40:10 »

Don and I subscribed to it around the time of the CU (big change to "the Star Wars game" which upset many players) but we never really got into it.  This was mainly because we decided that the CU, which sucky, was still playable, and we went back to the Star Wars game.

Ever since then I have been emailed every day by FunCom extending yet another never-to-be-repeated (until tomorrow) offer to buy AO expansion packs (the core game is still free) at a knocked down price.

FunCom have a new MMO in the works which is rumoured to be quite good.  However all MMOs are rumoured to be quite good but they usually end up not being.

Bottom line: If someone wanted to give AO a proper try I might be interested.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-10 13:42:10 »

Old ass graphics engine and game but the people I know that used to play it say it was very appealing for the hardcore MMO type player. And that they'd play again if the gameplay remained intact after a major graphic and systems overhaul.

I think I tried a demo of this and it wasn't very noob-friendly, which is fine, eventually.  I also remember it being ugly as sin.  Like original Unreal Tournament without lighting or effects or the engaging combat.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-11 00:36:32 »

You guys will do anything you can to avoid playing something recent and good, won't you?
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-11 07:06:56 »

The only "recent" game I can think of is Pirates of the Burning Sea.  Which was the "good" one?
[predaeus]
[millennium club]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-11 10:04:50 »

Like original Unreal Tournament without lighting or effects or the engaging combat.

The original Unreal Tournament and Unreal are still the best games of the Unreal series.
I can't stand Tele-Tubbies' graphics.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-11 13:31:55 »

The original UT rocks.  It has a grit to the look, and especially to the sound, that kicks the newer versions in the throat so hard it decapitates them.   But an MMO that looks even less sophisticated than old UT is gonna be pretty painful to look at nowadays.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-11 14:51:49 »

UT3 is pretty funky if by some strange coincidence you have a system that will run it.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-11 15:18:30 »

I haven't found the system requirments on their site yet.  Is this one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" sort of deals? 

I mean, I know some of these new games will cause my machine to go hide in the corner and weep, but I just want to see how bad off I am.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-18 15:42:42 »

Continuing with off topic discussion.  Turns out I can run UT3 fine...in single player mode anyhow.  The graphic settings are handled with two sliders instead of a bunch of checkboxes and pulldown menus, so I don't know what settings changed exactly but moving them from the default setting of 3 down to 2 allows the game to run smoov on my machine and it still looks pretty damn good.

UT3 has, for the most part, improved on that "Tele-tubby" look that plagued the previous couple versions.  A lot of dirty and decaying maps that give the right UT mood, plus there are some "nice" maps too. 

The only thing I have yet to figure out is the Post-Processing option.  I have it on default but I think that setting is making the "nice" maps waaaay too glowy looking.  Dynamic lighting gone wild...in a bad way. At least the grungy maps don't look that way.

Other than that, same game with a modern graphics engine.  Which could be read either way depending on how one felt about original UT.  For me, it's a positive statement, and will be buying UT3 this weekend.   The usual explodey, bloody, dumb fun.  Emphasis on both the dumb and fun.

« Last Edit: 2008-01-18 15:53:26 by [Don_T_Shoot] » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Sci-Fi  |  Topic: Anarchy Online « previous next »
Jump to: