[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-08-23 23:55:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43346 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  [furryclan] forums  |  [furryclan] general forum  |  Topic: AR-15 Build « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AR-15 Build  (Read 27536 times)
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
AR-15 Build
« on: 2008-12-15 05:42:39 »

I know GR has some experience with manly endeavors, and I would even venture to say that DT, for all his gay frolicking, probably has some valid input too. I'm gonna finally build my AR but I'm gonna make it Cal legal with a bullet button (and I'd never dream of using my "pre ban" mags). Any advice on manufacturers of the other parts... ie trigger assemblies, uppers, barrels, etc etc etc? Pretty much I'm looking at Rock River Arms for my shit, in addition to another place called like M&A Parts that is supposedly run by "former military professionals." I've pretty much settled on a Rock River lower (though I may be dissuaded by a decent argument), but everything else is very much up in the air. I've heard both good and bad things about DPMS, so I dunno. *shrug* Any suggestions by anyone here familiar with the various AR-15 parts manufacturers?

And oh yeah... I'm thinking chrome moly barrel... I doubt I'll be dissuaded from this though, considering I think the stainless steel barrel is too "bling."

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
Re: AR-15 Build
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-15 10:28:05 »

Holy crap. Didn't realize I put it in the other forums. Thanks furry.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[Luedog]
[furry veteran]

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-15 17:27:07 »

You'll shoot your eye out.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-15 17:58:31 »

I know GR has some experience with manly endeavors, and I would even venture to say that DT, for all his gay frolicking, probably has some valid input too. I'm gonna finally build my AR but I'm gonna make it Cal legal with a bullet button (and I'd never dream of using my "pre ban" mags). Any advice on manufacturers of the other parts... ie trigger assemblies, uppers, barrels, etc etc etc? Pretty much I'm looking at Rock River Arms for my shit, in addition to another place called like M&A Parts that is supposedly run by "former military professionals." I've pretty much settled on a Rock River lower (though I may be dissuaded by a decent argument), but everything else is very much up in the air. I've heard both good and bad things about DPMS, so I dunno. *shrug* Any suggestions by anyone here familiar with the various AR-15 parts manufacturers?

And oh yeah... I'm thinking chrome moly barrel... I doubt I'll be dissuaded from this though, considering I think the stainless steel barrel is too "bling."
Too busy right now for a detailed report. I'll post up a pic of mine and the build.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

120393882 ghostriderusa@msn.com RoddenCJ ghostrider_fc
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-15 18:17:59 »

Well, I know a shitload about pistols, but I'm sort of a noob with long guns.  I'm in the process of shopping an AR, but may decide to build since it seems to be impossible to buy one anymore.  Apparently, ever since the election, they are flying off the shelves.  Go figure.

I've heard that Rock River Arms is decent.  I have a chance at a Colt this week, but it's $1300 and doesn't come with the adjustable stock, just a POS full stock.  I've also heard good stuff about Bushmaster.  I haven't actually seen too many other brands, but I know a lot of them are out there.  Even Smith & Wesson is making an M&P model.

I'm going for something with the adjustable stock, flat top with Picatinny rail, Picatinny fore-end, and whatever is the shortest legal barrel length, which I think is 16".  I feel compelled to get the .223 as opposed to any other caliber.  I've seen some in .270 Winchester, AR-10's in .308, etc.  I'm up in the air on sights.  I've used simple peep sights and ghost rings, but one of my buddies has a nice red dot on his that I like.  We'll see what the costs are.  I'm also going to invest in some hi-cap mags right away because those will almost certainly be the first things to be banned.

See my Battlefield 2 stats here.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-15 19:00:11 »

Just remember... whenever you decide to man up and switch to swords, I'm your go-to guy.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-15 19:11:21 »

Yeah but they nerfed the fuck out of melee in Life 2.0, the engine is now geared towards ranged.  Stick with guns unless you have the air superiority addon pack.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-15 20:00:28 »

Yeah but they nerfed the fuck out of melee in Life 2.0, the engine is now geared towards ranged.  Stick with guns unless you have the air superiority addon pack.
Nope just got off the Test Server and they just nerfed Cluster Bomb 1 and Smart Bomb 1, so don't go up the Airstrike tree stick to the Chopper attack side.
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-12-15 23:07:37 »

Well, I know a shitload about pistols, but I'm sort of a noob with long guns.  I'm in the process of shopping an AR, but may decide to build since it seems to be impossible to buy one anymore.  Apparently, ever since the election, they are flying off the shelves.  Go figure.

I've heard that Rock River Arms is decent.  I have a chance at a Colt this week, but it's $1300 and doesn't come with the adjustable stock, just a POS full stock.  I've also heard good stuff about Bushmaster.  I haven't actually seen too many other brands, but I know a lot of them are out there.  Even Smith & Wesson is making an M&P model.

I'm going for something with the adjustable stock, flat top with Picatinny rail, Picatinny fore-end, and whatever is the shortest legal barrel length, which I think is 16".  I feel compelled to get the .223 as opposed to any other caliber.  I've seen some in .270 Winchester, AR-10's in .308, etc.  I'm up in the air on sights.  I've used simple peep sights and ghost rings, but one of my buddies has a nice red dot on his that I like.  We'll see what the costs are.  I'm also going to invest in some hi-cap mags right away because those will almost certainly be the first things to be banned.

Yeah, I'm tempted to build an AR-10 just because I really like .308, but I like .308 for killin'. And realistically, I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of killing with the AR. And if I need to kill some invading foreigners, I have my M1A. Besides, .223 is comparatively cheap.

I'm going for a more classic look, personally. I really like the A2 style carrying handle, appearance wise. I'm drawn to the classic full stock, too, but for bad ass ness I'm probably going to go for an adjustable stock.

[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2008-12-16 13:51:07 »

Yeah, I'm tempted to build an AR-10 just because I really like .308, but I like .308 for killin'. And realistically, I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of killing with the AR. And if I need to kill some invading foreigners, I have my M1A. Besides, .223 is comparatively cheap.

I'm going for a more classic look, personally. I really like the A2 style carrying handle, appearance wise. I'm drawn to the classic full stock, too, but for bad ass ness I'm probably going to go for an adjustable stock.
What does suck is that there is a .223 shortage and a small price increase due to the war, but yes it is cheaper than .308, always has been.

Unless you plan on engaging targets at 500+ yards the .308 will be useless, as cool as it sounds the barrel will always be front heavy no matter what a manufacturer tells you, the point for an AR, especially one with a collapsable stock is CQB a .308 isn't really ideal in those situations.

Do you have a pistol? I ask this because you're saying you would use the M1A for "invasion" protection yet in my experience the use of a long rifle for self defense is not very ideal, especially in a home environment...even the AR. Now some questions to get a feel of your experience and possible needs.

Have you ever done any room clearing with the M1A or AR? Not fired, room clearing, and if yes have you ever done it with a collapsible or full stock on the AR?
Have you ever done room clearing with a pistol?
Are you a mag griper or heat shield holder? Basically do you grip the magazine or hand guard/heat shield when firing an AR, or even a Hand grip if you have dealt with those?
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-12-16 14:24:10 »

Invasion protection?  as in home invasion?   How about a realistically useful shotgun?
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2008-12-16 14:35:51 »

Invasion protection?  as in home invasion?   How about a realistically useful shotgun?
Shotguns are messy and in the wrong/untrained hands can be more harm than good. I agree shotguns are a fantastic weapon for home protection but as stated earlier some people who think they know how to use a shotgun effectively in a CQB environment often don't and cause more harm than they help. I still consider pistols the best for home defense, anything higher than a 9mm.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-12-16 14:42:24 »

I suppose it depends greatly on the skill and ability of the home defender to remain calm in a situation.   I can't hit shit with a pistol vs a stationary target in a completely calm setting.  I would need something that is point and click...or rather point and huge fucking boom.

This is all assuming I lived in the action movie version of an inner city where something like that would actually be required, or possibly Detroit (same thing really). 
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 2008-12-16 14:45:25 »

I can't hit shit with a pistol vs a stationary target in a completely calm setting.   
What you do in your bathroom is your own business, shit shooting [Don] is very taboo.
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008-12-16 19:26:29 »

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  [furryclan] forums  |  [furryclan] general forum  |  Topic: AR-15 Build « previous next »
Jump to: