[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-19 10:05:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Red Storm rising  |  Topic: Vegas 2 ala PC « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas 2 ala PC  (Read 9502 times)
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
Vegas 2 ala PC
« on: 2009-02-16 01:32:06 »

Picked it up on Steam for pretty cheap... it's still only $20. I expected it to be pretty much the first game with a new campaign. It's actually a fairly significant improvement over the original Vegas. Some of the highlights:

• You create a custom character for use in both the single player and online modes, instead of just online
  • The maps I've played so far are awesome and give more tactical options. Also a good mix of CQB and open area fighting
  • Enemy AI was already fantastic in the first game but seems to have improved even more. It has officially kicked my ass multiple times with clever flanking maneuvers and good use of grenades/flashbangs. It also seems to do incredibly cool things like shooting a fire extinguisher to create a cloud of smoke, then moving into that cloud for concealment.
  • The enemy uses a wider variety of gear that pretty much includes everything you can use. Night and heat vision goggles, a full range of body armor, riot shields, laser sights (which can tip you off to their presence if you spot the beam), etc.
  • There are loads of cool achievements you can unlock, such as "kill 5 tangos in a row with a silenced weapon" or "kill a tango while hanging upside down", that in turn unlock new equipment and camo patterns. There's also an experience system where you rank up and unlock even more gear.
  • The damage blur that Phoebes complained about so much from the first game is still there, but seems drastically reduced
  • During the helicopter rides into the next mission, instead of just sitting there admiring the view you can also change your equipment to suit the new mission

Anyway, hopefully Don can get his copy working and a couple more of [you] will pick it up so we can get some coop games going.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Re: Vegas 2 ala PC
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-16 02:25:14 »

So is a zombie holocaust but that one is fun.  And yeah, Vegas 2 doesn't like my laptop.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-16 07:46:38 »

So last week when Steam were offering this game at a hefty discount no one is interested.  Now the price is back to normal people say we should buy it.  So much for the economic crisis.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-16 13:29:39 »

The terrible truth about Northstar is that he is not only Canadian, but a Ubisoft shill.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-16 14:50:56 »

So last week when Steam were offering this game at a hefty discount no one is interested.  Now the price is back to normal people say we should buy it.  So much for the economic crisis.
I bought it when it was at a discount, and I bought it because Don bought it. Not my fault no one else got it when it was on sale.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-16 14:52:28 by [NorthStar] » Logged
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009-02-18 14:05:03 »

I thought it was fun... for what it was.  I do recall it being hard to play with Phoenix bitching about it the entire time though.
-Dick
[bukkake master]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009-02-18 20:25:56 »

I never said you played it with me, you complained about it enough on TS and email and the forum.

Phoenix's review: The game is kinda entertaining, and has a lot of promise. Much better in its execution now that Red Storm didn't do the programming on it.

The details: In Mexico, everything is fucking orange.

In Vegas, everything is fucking overly bright.

Performance: The game performs like shit. The MINIMUM requirement is 3.0 GHz. The recommended is 3.5 GHz. As you guys know, they make single core chips basically up to 3.6 GHz... so you're going to want a dual core. The graphics aren't scalable. They're basically either on, or they're off. The resolution settings would be nice... if it in fact increased/decreased performance measurably. In my experience, 1024x768 was playable, just. 800x600 and 640x480 had no noticeable impact on performance. You are unable to turn off any graphics that could conceivably increase peformance (ie. shadows) but you can turn them to "very low" which helps.

One of the most annoying aspects of the game is the damage system. You have no way of knowing how injured you are. If you get hit, your screen immediately goes blurry as though you've been knocked cross eyed by the impact of the bullet. I think this even happens if a bullet zings by you, but to a lesser extent. The blur is HIGHLY exaggerated, which is annoying as FUCK. The good thing about the weapon system is that although the weapons are grossly inaccurate, the damage dealt (ie. headshot with a burst from a Famas only injures) is fucking stupid, the fact that you can take 72,340,245 rounds before dying (or 1 partial shotgun blast) helps with the whole annoyance that you can't seem to kill anyone. I don't like the way you bring your sights up... something about it feels unnatural, but I think that can be attributed to the fact that when you bring the sights up, they aren't exactly on line with where the gun was aiming, which is realistic. IRL, you're obviously going to fuck up your aim a bit by having to shift the gun up to your eye.

The good parts.... I love the seeking cover bits. You can stack up next to a door with your back against the wall, open the door, throw a flashbang/incendiary grenade/frag around the corner with minimal exposure... you can blind fire around/over whatever you're using for cover, or you can decide to do it the old fashioned way, and then drop immediately behind cover again. In addition, the thermal vision is ace. Things that are far away don't show up through thermal vision, unlike other games where people show up to infinity... and it cuts through the smoke quite nicely. The AI is pretty good too. Not superhuman, but they will approach and attempt to flank you. They also throw flashbangs and smoke, and presumably more deadly devices as well, though I haven't experienced those quite yet (and won't, because the SHITTY performance I was getting destroyed the fun).

I uninstalled it immediately after playing it, but it's worth a shot for those of you w/ dual SLI cards and all that jazz.

Keep in mind I was trying to play it on:

2.8 GHz
1.5 Gigs RAM
GeForce 6800XT (overclocked 33%)
« Last Edit: 2009-02-18 20:28:35 by -Dick » Logged
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 2009-02-18 22:22:31 »

I think the moral of this story is "QQ more n00b"
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 2009-02-19 15:02:04 »

You're already QQing about 2 and you haven't even played it.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2009-02-19 15:08:17 »

I really don't want to start dishing out negative karma for the use of "QQ" as a verb...
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 2009-02-19 19:14:26 »

If you did I would QQ about it
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 2009-02-19 20:04:01 »

I think you missed the "2" in my post.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 2009-02-20 13:08:43 »

You guys are like little gay goat fucking lovers.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 2009-02-20 15:15:21 »

I played Vegas 2. A long fucking time ago. Dick posted my review from regular Vegas. Thanks for keeping up.

Ok, how did you play Vegas 2? There's no demo, and you clearly don't own it. Quit talking out of your ass, which apparently also has a stick up it because you're going out of your way to be a dick to me for some reason.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-02-20 15:16:36 »

I've never known Phoenix to need a reason to be a dick.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Red Storm rising  |  Topic: Vegas 2 ala PC « previous next »
Jump to: