[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-09-24 09:28:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43346 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Superhero  |  Topic: My first impressions « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My first impressions  (Read 1891 times)
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
My first impressions
« on: 2009-09-17 07:22:20 »

Wekk the login server has just died on me and kicked me out, so I thought I'd just write a few words on here for shits and giggles.

Yes, an MMO only a few days out of beta and I bought it.  What was I thinking?  I had alreays promised myself, that I would never get into an MMO again so earliy.  Give it 6 months and see how it's actually going before jumping in with my cash.  Turns out I'm a sucker for shiney new superhero games and parted with my cash already.

First impressions are good.  Character customisation is immense.  Coming from World of Warcraft where everyone looks the same, and you be the best you can be you have to wear the best armour you can, even if it makes you look like a giant court jester.  Choosing my look and outfit again was a great feature.  Having spent a few hours in the tutorial running around like a noob I come to realise that my chap in his black and red fire motif outfit (named Burninator) is seriously lacking creative thought.  There are monters, wolves, hell I even saw a monkey skipping about, and yes of course the 3 million angel/demon cliches just dropping into the tutorial alleyway.

So lets rewind a bit.  I've always enjoyed being a tank.  The thought of being the one guy standing between mass enemies and the rest of the group dying has always been a satisfying one.  So upon creating my first character I look for the Tank class.  It's not there.  Having not read anything beyond a few posts on this forum, I stratch my head.  Some reading later I delve back into the character creator and start making choices.

Using a custom build I think that this should get me the flexibility that I'm looking for in my tank.  Looking over the energy builder powers I look at the melee attacks.  The crushing powers are my main focus, thinking I'll give them a cool orange glow to make them firey.  But hang on, I dont need to pick something expected.  If a tank can build energy at range, that would be awesome.  So I grab the fire bolt dealy to build energy.  I want a melee attack next.  Something brutal, but without the fancyness of weapons.  Crushing blows it is, with the chance to stun enemies it's a perfect tank tool.  I launch into tutorial and start beating the crap out of everything in sight.  Damn this is fun.

Crafting is done well, but the ease of picking up raw materials seems a little too... easy.  Perhaps at the higher levels the more rare components will be loot drops from mobs.  Otherwise I can see people just hanging about the component container spawn points and whoring them up like... whores.

Not getting loot from every mob is odd.  In WOW nearly everything drops something, even if it's crap you sell back to a vendor.  It's the main source of income at low levels.  With only quest rewards to get money at the moment, a wrongly chosen power is very costly, so much so that I rerolled and started again already.

All in all, a very enjoyable game.  I'll have to see if group dynamics work well.  At the moment it just seems like a single player game with other people in it.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Re: My first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-17 13:21:33 »

Yup, no classes but there are many discussions on the official forums where people are trying to figure out how to make a tank.  

You'll need to get to whatever level it is that allows you to select your current role.  This can be done in the Character Window (usually the C key). There is a pull down menu for Roles. The default is Guardian which is the balanced role.  I use this the majority of the time because it allows a defensive passive, doesn't draw excess aggro and doesn't debuff damage output.   If there are enough people around to absorb damage and keep the baddies distracted, I'll switch to Avenger for higher DPS but without the defensive passive, my toon is about as tough as wet toilet paper so I find myself switching back to Guardian as soon as the cool down period ends.

There is a Protector (?) role that will buff your defense and aggro abilities but will debuff your damage and something else.   At any rate, aggro is not like in other games.  I'm not certain but it appears to me that the higher rank of foe, the more likely they are to spread the hate around, usually to the healer or highest dps and ignore much of the aggro drawing powers.

Everyone can be, and more or less is expected to be, a tank-mage.  So it's more of I'm a tank-mage that leans towards DPS, or towards being a little more unkillable than the other guy.  Using roles you can be both of those types but not at once.

I'd consider tanks in this game to be more like tough scrappers in CoH.  You can take a lot damage for a while but not indefinitely and you can hold more aggro than the next guy but it's not guaranteed automatic taunt everything type of situation.

As you add ranks to your powers, many of them will have a taunt advantage called Challenging Strike or something similar.  Those can help especially with AOE powers.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-17 13:33:34 by [Don_T_Shoot] » Logged
[jimforthewin]
[furryclan] MOH
[furry postmaster]

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-17 16:17:41 »

Yeap looking ahead at powers seems to indicate that there are some pretty tanky like attacks.  As well as adding in the extra taunt abilities from the upgrade points things could go well.  I've already got more health and strength that I know what to do with.  Realisng however that I've seriously gimped my energy generation. 

Frustratingly, I put a chain attack on my energy generating attack.  Which unfortunately can lead to some extra agro that I didnt want as the flame shots bounce all around the place.  Oh well.  Respeccing costs a sodding fortune.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-17 17:49:07 »

Yeah, it's all too easy to gimp yourself in this game.   I'm glad I had beta and the early start freespec to correct some misconceptions and poor choices.  But even now, I think I should have spent my advantage points a little differently.  There's a power I'm going to have to wait a few more levels to get that I probably should have taken earlier but the description sounded pretty lame and it turns out I could have been an AOE spamming lunatic had I picked it up already.  Oh well, I can sort it out soon enough.   The key is I like all the powers I have so far.

END/REC with minor in CON

Force Bolts for energy builder, Force Blast and Lightning Arc for ST attacks.  Sparkstorm for AOE (freaking awesome power) Resurgence for a heal.  Eagerly awaiting Gigabolt (high power cone attack) and an energy form.

Force Shield for the block.  It has to be on the nerf hitlist though.  It converts blocked damage to energy, this combined with Regen (yeah, sue me) allows me to stay in a fight indefinitely and without having to use my builder much, so long as I block the most powerful build up attacks consistently.*

The Electrocute hold has some draw backs like limited range and rooting me while it builds up but it has one major plus.  It is the only hold that correctly works with the "Never Strikes Twice" advantage in Lightning Arc.  NST doubles all damage from LA on held targets.  

Probably the only things I'd change if I could would be to choose Chain Lightning instead of Force Blast, as CL can arc to nearby targets thus acting as a sort of AOE, plus with each arc it returns some energy.  Force Blast was great at low levels but I don't seem to have the right stats or something to use it as a reliable knockback in the 20's. So now it's just a lackluster ST attack.

The other things I'd change would be to skip my heal for now and get Ionic Reverberation that returns energy every time an electrical attack arcs.  Apparently that power combined with making the electrical PBAOE (Sparkstorm) into a toggle is spamtastically devastating.

At any rate, I can add those powers and advantages in the next few levels.  The next challenge is try to get a workable Avenger build and strengthen my Guardian build.   Option overload.

*Note: when a cosmic or legendary villain has the "FREEM" symbol above his head...block or die.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-17 18:06:08 by [Don_T_Shoot] » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Superhero  |  Topic: My first impressions « previous next »
Jump to: