[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-11-21 07:13:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: Questions about High Poly Guns.. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about High Poly Guns..  (Read 6456 times)
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
Questions about High Poly Guns..
« on: 2010-04-29 22:43:23 »

I know some here have tinkered around with making weapons, any advice would be appreciated.

I wanted to know if anyone here has every experienced lag with the following:

1. High Poly guns with low resolution textures.
2. High Resolution textures with low polygons count.
3. High Polygon gun with High Resolution textures.

I have noticed that most guns are not the same as portraded in the "wp_XXX_preview.bmp"

For example the Remington 700, the preview.bmp is way different from the actual in-game model.

Why is this?

Another thing that interests me is why make a gun mod and not spend enough time texturing the scope nor the lenses of the scope, or how about even the barrel tip hole. UV mapping is a skill that I guess most didn't have the time to learn and do.

How about the readme.txt files found in most mods that reads, "If you would like to use this mod or any part of this mod, you must get permission from me" no one seems to care about their past projects, should I care?

I noticed in another post someone mentioned a site that had a list of mods, this mod list contained a G36K mod enhanced or improved, the only mod the g36k eva came out in, that I know of, is the USTT Weapons mod. Does anyone know who was the original 3d model maker?

CC
« Last Edit: 2010-04-29 22:55:19 by CopyCat » Logged
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Re: Questions about High Poly Guns..
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-30 00:18:47 »

No idea, I never had a reason to try.

my goal was to stay as close to the original poly limits as possible and only in the unfinished SWAT:WJ mod did I use a slightly higher count.   Given the way the gameworld looks in SWAT3, I just don't see a need to get too whacky with the polycounts.  Maybe 300 or even 500 would do but it seemed pointless to go higher to me. 

There's a G36K I did here you can do whatever to.  I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for though.  http://donpla.net/swat3/mods/UPgrade_G36K.zip
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-30 00:35:47 »

Awesome job!, If I was going to make a weapon or remake/enhance a weapon mod, That is what id would look like.

Thanks for the permission, might include in our DnC mod if it's ok.

By the way the WJ mod, wanna ressurect it?

CC
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-30 08:12:40 »

> I have noticed that most guns are not the same as portraded in the "wp_XXX_preview.bmp"
>
> For example the Remington 700, the preview.bmp is way different from the actual in-game model.
>
> Why is this?

Because the artist who created the preview image made it look like the real thing rather than the model.  The preview image is an image created by the modder.  It is not taken from the model.  Some modders use renders of their model for the preview image.

> How about the readme.txt files found in most mods that reads, "If you would like to use this mod or any part of this
> mod, you must get permission from me" no one seems to care about their past projects, should I care?

Should you like asparagus?  You tell me.
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-30 20:10:13 »

Huh

[to clarify I didn't mean the immediate past projects, Last Resort, DnC mod, Island Estate, nor the SkyScraper map]
« Last Edit: 2010-04-30 20:28:49 by CopyCat » Logged
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-30 20:20:40 »

When are you usually on TS, I would like to talk to you. I get this bad vibe from you on the forums, and would like to clarify.

CC
[moab]
[furry familiar]

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-30 20:29:26 »

I wouldn't worry about it.  the dry vibe is normal.  And when someone asks you if you like asparagus, the answer is no.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-30 21:02:43 »

But if someone asks if you are a god, on the other hand...
[moab]
[furry familiar]

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-30 21:06:02 »

No.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-30 21:18:48 »

Look, in all seriousness you seem like a nice guy and it's clear that you are talented.  The problem is that there are only so many ways to politely excuse oneself from projects involving a game you gave up on several years ago.

You're asking us to tell you how you should feel about something that's entirely your decision.  Do you care about your past projects?  There's your answer.
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-01 07:02:10 »

Look, in all seriousness you seem like a nice guy and it's clear that you are talented.  The problem is that there are only so many ways to politely excuse oneself from projects involving a game you gave up on several years ago.

You're asking us to tell you how you should feel about something that's entirely your decision.  Do you care about your past projects?  There's your answer.

Translation: No we don't want to offer anything but token advice on things that we've all pretty much fallen out of practice with. And no, we don't want to talk to you on Teamspeak. We're trying to tolerate you as best we can without kicking your teeth in, but you're reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy working at trying to get a group of otherwise docile people to nail you to a fucking cross.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-01 07:21:38 »

And the bad vibe comes from me?
Darker
[noob]

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-02 15:08:29 »

Hi,

Answering your 1st question, I havn't noticed any lag with high poly guns.
When looking at Swat 3 you must understand that high poly guns and swat 3 don't exactly 'match'. You want high-poly guns ingame but then the game needs to be in higher graphics too, because it doesn't look nice when having a high poly gun with high textures and a low texture/graphics game.

Take the (RRTS) Complete for example, It contains many guns but with low-medium graphics.
I guess the developers in those days (around 2000) hadn't the computers to make things perfectly or created a game with that graphics so anyone was able to play swat 3 (without having an extreme computer)

Maybe you better could create a few weapons with medium-high textures polygons instead of high, but thats my opinion.

[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-04 00:05:56 »

And the bad vibe comes from me?

Stop being so hostile, [cat].

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-04 00:31:57 »

I am Lost for words. Words cannot express my disappointment.

CC
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: Questions about High Poly Guns.. « previous next »
Jump to: