[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-11-24 17:42:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Other MMOs  |  Topic: Vindictus « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vindictus  (Read 10880 times)
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
Vindictus
« on: 2010-09-17 18:03:38 »

http://vindictus.nexon.net/

Mo was kind enough to grant me an extra early access beta key. I had a bit of a rough start trying to get the game up and running (had to download the game client twice, and very slowly at that), but so far I'm really impressed. I didn't get to play very long last night before the server abruptly went down for maintenance, but here is a brief summary.

The gameplay has some similarities to your typical MMO, but on the whole it's quite a bit different because it's more of an action RPG. You control every attack, block, dodge, and movement in real-time, and whether you hit or miss is based on whether your weapon actually makes contact, not on a dice roll. All combat is done inside dungeon instances... there is no open world. Normally this would be a downer for me, but the fast pace of the combat and the tools that Nexon implemented make it incredibly easy to pick up a group and have fun quickly. Since everyone in the instance is in your party, there is no kill stealing and no ninja looting. There's also no need to spawn camp.

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous for a single-player title, let alone an MMO. The armor is bump-mapped and reflected to all hell and looks amazing. The character animations are very smooth, even down to facial expression. Hair and clothing moves pretty realistically. Framerate was perfect even on max settings - the engine seems very well-optimized. The production values overall are impressive as well, as evidenced by the polished but simple look of the UI and the cool credits cutscene that plays after the prologue, which made me feel like I was in a movie.

Even what little story has been presented so far was pretty interesting to me, and this is coming from someone who got quickly bored with Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I never thought I'd feel sorry for a giant spider, especially even as it tried to kill me. I'm sure it isn't anything entirely original, but there are some fresh ideas that have me curious to see more.

So far the main downside I see is the lack of character options. There are only two available in the beta, and it looks like there will be about five or six on release. They aren't classes in the typical sense though; they're pretty specific and each have their own style of fighting (dual wield, sword & shield, etc.). This could be good or bad depending on your perspective, but personally I prefer more traditional character archetypes.

The pay model is supposed to be F2P with a shop for extra items and customization, but it looks like if you want to play more than a handful of hours per month you'll have to pay a little, since each dungeon run costs "tokens" which appear to be buyable. There might be some in-game way to acquire more tokens though - they seem like they might be trade-able between players. I'll have to investigate further. Even a few hours of gameplay a month is hard to beat for free, though, especially with a game of this quality. No question I'll be playing this one on release.

What do you think of it so far, Mo? Have you been able to play yet?
[moab]
[furry familiar]

View Profile Email
Re: Vindictus
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-17 18:21:37 »

I'm enjoying the combat so far.  Combos, holds, throws, kicks, bash your enemy into the god damned wall, and as Northy mentions, real time and no dice rolls.  It feels very much like a console game combat wise which is refreshing.  I'll diverge a little from Northy on the story.  It has some extreme cheese, but I don't consider this a bad thing.  Legend of Zelda was one of the  forefathers of fantasy cheese and a great game.  The spider Northy mentions is very well animated.  On the topic of animation, the game does not have the ultra detail of some other games (Batman AA or even Bad Company), but I would rather have fluid movement and varied combat over extreme facial and weapon detail.

From the little I've played so far, this game feels more like a diablo or border lands type game than a traditional mmo.  It is certainly not open world.  Concur with Northy that this is a must try at release being free and all.  Also, forgot I had another key to give away.  Please only take it if you plan to actually use it:

4630248D20BA4D6EB0A6
« Last Edit: 2010-09-17 19:00:30 by [moab] » Logged
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-18 22:01:03 »

So I'm guessing you're playing a fair amount, but being your usual anti-social MMO-playing self and not logging onto Steam or TS?
[moab]
[furry familiar]

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-19 10:24:16 »

Correct, either that or minecraft.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-19 14:39:50 »

Correct, either that or minecraft.

[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-20 05:44:54 »

When I first saw Minecraft I LOL'd, but I have to admit it's pretty addicting. I'm sitting in my watchtower on a hill waiting for sunrise and the subsequent immolation of all things undead.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-12 18:25:31 »

Open beta starts tomorrow, so take a break from Minecraft and check it out.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-12 18:42:37 »

I signed up. I'll also be working from home tomorrow so...if anyone wants to call in sick to get a good test run on this thing, lets doo eeeett.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 18:51:43 by [DoubleTap] » Logged
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-12 18:51:27 »

QQ?
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-12 18:51:57 »

QQ?

Pft, what are you talking about?
« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 18:54:15 by [DoubleTap] » Logged
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-12 18:55:14 »

I know the truth... and the truth... is QQ.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-14 13:56:51 »

Who is going to try the game? I have it installed but the servers didn't go up till late after I finished working from home. Hoping to get on for a bit this weekend.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-14 16:05:00 »

Just as well that you didn't get on last night... the patch was downloading so slowly that it was at like 25% when I went to bed.
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-14 20:47:59 »

I'll be on tonight, so holla. East Server, FYI and [Mo] I'll be on TS so if you are playing too, gtfo and play.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-14 21:50:11 »

I'm sure Mo will be playing but not on TS. Fuck your East server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  MMOs  |  Other MMOs  |  Topic: Vindictus « previous next »
Jump to: