[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-21 00:20:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: Possible bug SCN Hacking 10.0 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible bug SCN Hacking 10.0  (Read 17651 times)
bar0n
[furry groupie]

View Profile Email
Re: Possible bug SCN Hacking 10.0
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-11 17:40:24 »

my condolences on the thread, furrycat's post referring to phoenix as a flamer was too much to resist.  Wink <---gay wink
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-11 18:17:59 »

Why?  It's not your clan.

I know it's not my clan, I was trying to make friends that have a mutual love for the game.

I have come to realize that no matter who you talk to about swat3 doesn't dictate what they should be into.... I'm sorry.

Pheonix .......I don't think I am wrong on every level, but I do agree with the points you have made.

Slippery_Jim - I have the UNFINISHED map of the brenner house I re-did in WorldCraft if you would like to take a look at it. I spent a week, rebuilding geometry to be close to the original.
[GhostRider]
[nothing better to do]

120393882 ghostriderusa@msn.com RoddenCJ ghostrider_fc
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-11 22:13:17 »

I know it's not my clan, I was trying to make friends that have a mutual love for the game.

That's fine.  We make new friends all the time, and some of them play games.  But the recent additions to our clan and the folks we interact with online that are not old Swat3 peeps all came around via some other newer more current game.  It's nice you like Swat3.  We like it too.  But we don't play it anymore.  What else are you playing?  Let's see who's into that.  Friend some [folks] on Steam and join some of those games.  That's how you make friends around here.

And you don't have to play all the time.  I rarely have time to play anymore and [others] have not played in years.  But we're still buddies online in spite of few games and many time zones between us. 

Maybe you should start over.

See my Battlefield 2 stats here.
[_PhoeniX_]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-12 01:46:51 »

Huh? What? Sorry... missed what you were saying. 4.0.1 patch drops tomorrow. Farming badges.

[12:46] [DT], Drax: I enjoy hooking my little sister up with guys from across the country
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-12 08:27:28 »

I think I see what is going on here.

Because you set the classname to light_spot scnhacking considers the entity to be a light.  Which is good, that's what you want.  But the number of lights is defined in the SCN as one fewer.  scnhacking needs to update the number of lights in the file header when you modify entities in this way.
[Longbow]
[nothing better to do]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-12 11:46:59 »

[/thread]
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-12 14:11:27 »

what I would like to know is how are you able to decipher the code on the SCN file so it is readable. What program are you using to convert the large mess of code to ledgeble text. Is it how to read it that was the problem? or How to create a program, to Read, Edit, and OverWrite the SCN.  I haven't tried to open the SCN and spend some time looking at it. Sounds interesting...

« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 14:14:04 by Cpy-Ct » Logged
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-12 14:32:38 »

I have been thinking about the importing of the maps. and How: The brushes get seperated into triangles and how Some brushes have missing sides.

Is it possible that the CAULK texture used in swat3 is the CLIP texture?  and that this is the reason some brushes are missing sides in the imported version?

USING SCN EDIT:  Replacing the CLIP texture with another Visible TGA file or better yet a BMP, could solve this problem with the sides being clipped off the brushes.

I know this has nothing to do with SCN HACKING so I'm sorry if I offended anyone by posting this here.
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-10-12 14:53:49 »

Because you set the classname to light_spot scnhacking considers the entity to be a light.  Which is good, that's what you want.  But the number of lights is defined in the SCN as one fewer.  scnhacking needs to update the number of lights in the file header when you modify entities in this way.

Makes sense now that you figured it out and typed the answer, lol.

Will there be a new version of SCN Hacking sometime in the future?    No rush on my account...I just wanted to see what would happen if that entity was fixed.   I guess the easiest thing is to make it so the user can manually change the number of lights stored in the SCN (as opposed to making an auto-recalculation).  Perhaps a command to increment 1 up or 1 down?

On a side note: I noticed a lot of sloppy texture problems on Mission A (Martin Brenner) that were fixed using Alien Abducter's brilliant SCN editor.  Just wished it had the same UV map features as Worldcraft.   Would love to be able to move and resize textures.   Hear that AA?  Hint.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 15:15:08 by Slippery_Jim » Logged
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-10-12 15:01:10 »

I have been thinking about the importing of the maps. and How: The brushes get seperated into triangles and how Some brushes have missing sides.

Is it possible that the CAULK texture used in swat3 is the CLIP texture?  and that this is the reason some brushes are missing sides in the imported version?

USING SCN EDIT:  Replacing the CLIP texture with another Visible TGA file or better yet a BMP, could solve this problem with the sides being clipped off the brushes.

I know this has nothing to do with SCN HACKING so I'm sorry if I offended anyone by posting this here.

Even if it did work that way I imagine the faces are already lost once the map is compiled.   I looked in the MissionA and MissionL .SCN and neither of them make reference to a caulk texture (and you would think there would be some remnants left behind).  Your theory isn't without merit though.  As a test I looked at the .SCN of my Xmas map and none of the backsides seem to be missing (even on the unreleased underground workshop area).    I even see a solid polygon sitting in the middle of empty space that I used for carving doors.

A lot of the exterior textures on Mission A were done very half-assed as if they were running short on time.   I can't imagine the developers wasting time marking the back sides of geometry for culling on such a low polygon map.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 16:07:47 by Slippery_Jim » Logged
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: 2010-10-12 15:36:05 »

> I guess the easiest thing is to make it so the user can manually change the number of lights stored in the SCN

No.  The file also contains a list of lightmaps.  If the number of lights changes the lightmap list must be rebuilt.

I already have it recalculating the number of lights after an entity change and rebuilding the lightmaps.  I just need to write the new lightmaps to disk.  The current code just dumps a lot of the SCN file straight out when performing edits as large chunks of the file are considered as essentially static.  If the lightmaps are rebuilt that optimisation can no longer be used.

I'll need to dig out my SCN file format documentation - such as it is - for this.
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-10-12 15:50:51 »

Quote from: [furrycat
]
I'll need to dig out my SCN file format documentation - such as it is - for this.

Thanks, but if it is too much work forget about it.   It was just curiosity and isn't really necessary for what I am working on.    When I used SCN hacking for other things on Mission A it always reported light entity 152 was screwed up and I wanted to see what would happen if I fixed it.

Now adding texture features to AA's SCN editor is something that would float my boat.   He included source code.  Guess there is no chance I could convince you to look at that code?   Sorry, to pull a Copy-Cat on you.   Grin
« Last Edit: 2010-10-12 15:54:24 by Slippery_Jim » Logged
Cpy-Ct
[furry minion]

My Bag Of Tricks

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: 2010-10-12 16:54:34 »

After spending a few hours on importing the maps,(cuz I was bored) I believe the problem is that the SCN Editor doesn't render geometry as solid brushes as in WC.

I created a room with a few entities, CELL, LIGHT, WAYPOINT, and a SWT_START. Built the SCN file.
I then opened the SCN using the SCN Editor, ripped the SCN to a OBJ file.
OPened the OBJ file in BLENDER.......I noticed a few things here.....in blender and also MAYA, the object file had (triangulated)planes NOT brushes representing the inside walls of my room.
I then exported from Blender a MAP file. Opened the MAP file in WC and the planes at their vertex locations were converted to Brushes.

Using this same process I edited the room in WC by adding a cell outside of my room. The results were as expected, after opening the results in WC the map had brushes representing the planes on the inside and outside of my room.

I'm sorry again for posting here, for some reason I feel that you guys are interested in this. Feel free to skip over my post and read on.
bar0n
[furry groupie]

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: 2010-10-12 19:37:03 »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDUMfB8mrU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDUMfB8mrU</a>

was this made using scn editor?
Slippery_Jim
[furry acolyte]

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-10-12 20:25:37 »

was this made using scn editor?

Don't think so.   So far all it can do is replace textures by changing the filenames in the SCN.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  SWAT3  |  Topic: Possible bug SCN Hacking 10.0 « previous next »
Jump to: