[furryclan]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-23 16:02:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Teamspeak status: teamspeak.furryclan.net

[furryclan] main page: furryclan.net
43350 Posts in 3544 Topics by 235 Members
Latest Member: w1bble
* Home Help Search Login Register
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Steam (Moderator: -Dick)  |  Topic: Share Your Steam Library « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share Your Steam Library  (Read 4120 times)
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Share Your Steam Library
« on: 2013-09-11 18:43:15 »

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Valve has today announced its next attempt at a console-killer with “Family Sharing”, a feature that will allow you to share your Steam library with family, and close friends. This almost seems too good to be true, and while there are caveats, this is going to be huge, and Valve knows it.

With Family Sharing, you’ll be able to authorize up to 10 devices at any given time; this could be PCs in your house, or remote PCs. When an account is authorized, a friend or family member will be able to log into their accounts, play your games, earn their own achievements, and save their own games. The main caveat is that the library cannot be used by more than one person at the same time – something that’s kind of expected (you could certainly play each other’s at the same time).

Quoted from TechGage via Slashdot

[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
Re: Share Your Steam Library
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-11 19:27:42 »

One thing to keep in mind here, that it is library sharing as in, you can share access to your library at once, not individual games.   Meaning you can't share one game while playing another.  Instead it kicks off the 'sharee' if you, the library owner, go to use any of your games.

So this would work great for people in vastly different time zones sharing libraries.  Or if you have a friend who likes to buy games and then doesn't log on much. 
[DoubleTap]
[furlosopher]

159004537 allan_v@isnbroadband.net DoubleTapABN DoubleTap_ABN
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-11 19:30:19 »

One thing to keep in mind here, that it is library sharing as in, you can share access to your library at once, not individual games.   Meaning you can't share one game while playing another.  Instead it kicks off the 'sharee' if you, the library owner, go to use any of your games.

So this would work great for people in vastly different time zones sharing libraries.  Or if you have a friend who likes to buy games and then doesn't log on much. 

Or to just try a game before buying it.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-11 19:34:51 »

Some folks on the Ars Technica forum are theorizing that the sharer may still be able to play their games in offline mode without interrupting the sharee.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-11 20:18:00 »

Or to just try a game before buying it.

Sure there is that.

But I'm not talking about motivations but the logistics of not being able to access your games while a sharee is playing your games without booting the sharee.    There are some situations where that limitation isn't an issue and others where it is.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-11 20:25:25 »

The most obvious thought is "Northstar has a fuck-ton of games! maybe he'd share." But that doesn't mean much if you are only online when he is.  But if you want to play every RTS known to man, Luedog probably has them and isn't on for long stretches so maybe that might work out for you.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-12 15:06:04 »

I could be persuaded to leave my machine on while I'm at work. Or just log in from work if that's what's required. Anyway I signed up for beta, but it's only 1000 people to start with so let's hope they expand it.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-26 18:14:43 »

[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-26 19:53:06 »

OK, that works like I expected it to from the original description except the "log into the friends computer at least once" part.    It still seems somewhat cool but just clumsy and limited enough that I can see people not bothering to set this up.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-26 19:55:26 »

oh, and don't forget...

NSFW Lyric  (and I do mean lyric, not lyrics)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxXGKDnwXE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxXGKDnwXE</a>
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-26 19:59:39 »

OK, that works like I expected it to from the original description except the "log into the friends computer at least once" part.    It still seems somewhat cool but just clumsy and limited enough that I can see people not bothering to set this up.

Yeah, not quite a free-for-all, but as mentioned in the article remote desktop could be used to accomplish that.
[furrycat]
[jedi master]

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-26 20:43:35 »

Sounds like the kind of thing that would get a man shot down if he had suggested it might work that way from the outset.
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-26 22:02:59 »

That was my rounabout way of suggesting that Northstar may have been confused as to how this would work originally.
[NorthStar]
[furry postmaster]

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-26 23:00:56 »

Is my asshole detector malfunctioning, or are you guys being assholes to the guy with the huge Steam library?
[Don_T_Shoot]
[bukkake master]

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-26 23:48:16 »

Is my asshole detector malfunctioning, or are you guys being assholes to the guy with the huge Steam library?

I'm not sure but there might be at least two penis references right there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
[furryclan]  |  Single player and online games  |  Steam (Moderator: -Dick)  |  Topic: Share Your Steam Library « previous next »
Jump to: